Wednesday, July 31, 2013

News Lately

I'm going to try to do a semi-regular/as it occurs to me post collecting the articles and other links I've read lately about Church matters.  Some of these may be critical of the Church, some not.  Some may be merely observational.  But for whatever reason these links impacted me.

So here we go.

1/8th of an Inch - Are we really using our resources in the best way possible?   (SPOILER: No.)


New Scripture Mastery - As I commented on someone's post about this, with the removal of some scriptures that highlight how we see ourselves as unique (stone rolling forth, baptisms for the dead, other sheep not of this fold, seeing Jesus standing on the right hand of God) I see the Church continuing its trend to make itself seem more like mainstream Christianity.  Someone else noted that memorizing a bunch of scriptures isn't "mastery" per se, but I would argue that although I don't feel like I've mastered the scriptures by a long shot, those 100 scriptures that I learned in Seminary have stuck with me.  To the degree that even in my current scriptures, purchased well after I graduated from high school, I have highlighted those scriptures.  By de-emphasizing certain elements, the Church isn't saying that those things aren't part of the doctrine anymore, just that they're not our focus anymore.  Weren't we supposed to be a peculiar people?  Personally, I'm fine with focusing on Christ and not necessarily the Church and its peculiar doctrines, I just think it's an interesting shift.

My Faith Crises - This really resonated with me, as this author, like me and so many others, feels vastly conflicting emotions when it comes to the Church.  Sometimes I want to just throw up my hands and ask, "What is the point of all of this angst?  Why do I put myself through this?"  Yet, here I am, in the Church, active, teaching.  For now.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, especially that last one. Good stuff. This post generally makes me want to use my blog to document my own reading/thoughts, but I'm not sure I'm ready to be that public with it... Not that I have hordes of readers, but I have a few and they are pretty orthodox members, by and large.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mindy, that's why I created this blog, sort of semi-anonymously. It's not linked to my other (much more public) blog, and I haven't posted it anywhere except for closed groups on Facebook. I needed a place to talk about this and everything swirling around in my head.

    ReplyDelete